Well, I’ve been hard at work implementing some new things for the template; hopefully the first real permanent template that I’ll have. A blog just doesn’t feel like my own without my own personalized design anyways. I’ve got the sidebar titles all done up with a nice little graphic and I’m currently trying to work out how to get a menu system in place.
It would appear that placing a navigation menu under the main header would be quite difficult within the contraints of the Blogger setup. I’m sure it can be done, but I don’t think as a beginner to all this template stuff that I’m going to blaze a path through the unknown. A little out of my league to say the least. Well, for now. Anyways, I’ve got a trial version of Macromedia’s Studio MX 2004 with Flash MX 2004 (I’m not quite ready to spill $1000+ on the full version yet) so I’ve been trying to create some buttons with flashy (hehe, pun) submenus in the sidebar. It’s a little crowded right now and I want to clear some of that up. A nice menu system would be a great improvement. Only problem: I’ve gotta learn how to use Flash. I did a little project back in grade 11 with flash, but it was really only the novelty and uniquness of it that really won the class. Definitely not the quality, and I don’t want this to look like some amateur job. Thus, I’ll slave at it until I’m happy with the results. My willingness to do something like this and work hard at it tends to sooth my fears that I’ll lose interest in computers and thus render my university major choice useless. So if I find that Flash/Dreamweaver is useful, I may consider purchasing it at the U of Waterloo. They’ve got some really nice educational discounts on software that would allow me to pick the whole Studio MX package up for $120 instead of over a thousand.
I’m also just finishing up the second part of the ‘It’s Falling Apart’ series. Still somewhat of an analysis of what’s going on, this time about the happenings in London. Should make for a decent read if you’re interested in that kind of stuff.
In completely unrelated news, I (along with the help of D-Link Support) have confirmed that the wireless router we bought about two months ago is indeed defective and I’ll be getting a RMA number for a replacement. As such, there are wires strewn all over the place in order for my laptop to reach the wired router that we’re temporarily using. Not a pretty sight as I basically have to jump over the wire that’s in the way here.
That’s all for now as I head off to bed. Calculus in the summer hurts my head!