Well what can I say. After initial apprehension about buying this laptop, I’m glad I have. To be honest, I think the ‘issues’ people have been having with the aesthetics and the screen have been blown a little out of proportion. It’s neither your best looking nor best performing notebook, but it’s a very good mix of both. I have no qualms with showing it off to friends, but it doesn’t catch the eye of every passerby either. The screen’s biggest problem is not the ‘sparkles’ but the uneveness of backlight. I will gladly deal with it because it’s not bad and the rest of the system fits my needs so well. Others may not agree.
Performance-wise, it is very competitive with the best 15.4″ laptops out there. Battery life is excellent and it’s sturdily built. So, if you’re looking for a modern laptop at a great price point and willing to carry 6 and a half pounds, I’d definitely consider the ASUS Z71V.
- Great performance
- Solid optical device (physically)
- Relatively easy assembly
- Easy overclocking with the dipswitches
- Good battery life
- No overheating issues
- Not as ‘ugly’ as I expected…
- A bit of sparkling if you look for it
- Some screen lighting uniformity issues (bleeding, dark bands)
- Poor cooling for the video card
- Keyboard isn’t very stable
- Some static from the line out
- DVD writer is a little picky with media